TB Control Programme Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
TB CONTROL PROGRAMME KHYBER PAKHTUNKHWA
MISSION, GOAL & TARGETS:
- Programme Mission is TB free Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Programme goal is to reduce TB prevalence and death rates by 50% by 2015 relative to 1990
- Implementation target is to detect at least 70% of new sputum smear positive cases and cure at least 90% of these cases.
- Pakistan ranks 6th among high burden TB countries in the world.
- An estimated 55,000 new TB cases occur in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa every year.
- Presently PC-1 is implemented with cost of 142.220 Million PK Rs from 1st July 2009 till 30th June 2012.
- Some activities are covered by the National PC-1, which stands devolved since July 1st 2011 and staff will be absorbed by PTP. Case is submitted to the Government Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- Some support is also extended by the Global fund through NTP.
GLOBAL PLAN TO STOP TB (2006-2015):
It is the global strategy (2006-2015) of stop TB Partnership to control the disease.
Its components are:-
- To pursue and enhance high quality DOTS
- To effectively address TB-HIV, MDR-TS and other challenges
- Health system strengthening
- Involvement of all health care providers
- Empowerment of TB patients and communities
- TB research for new drugs and effective vaccine.
- 100% DOTS coverage in all 24 districts (District Torghar is under implementation process)
- More then 2,61,000 TB patients have been registered and successfully treated from 2002 up to end of 30th September 2011.
- Free of cost diagnostic and treatment services are being provided to all patients all over the province.
- 220 Basic Management Units (BMUs) and 806 functional treatment centers all over the province. Among them, 37 BMUs are effectively working in non-public sector, a successful step towards public private partnership.
- Provision of vehicles to the districts for monitoring and supervision
- Free provision of quality assured anti-TB Drugs all over the province.
- Construction work of Provincial TB Reference Laboratory at Hayatabad Medical Complex, Peshawar completed.
- Refurbishment of peripheral laboratories continues.
- PPM expansion strategy with partners support finalized at the provincial level to involve remaining districts of the Province.
- Capacity building of various cadres of health care providers.
- Trainings on TB Drugs Management.
- DOTS initiated in three main prisons of the Province.
- Regular meetings of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Stop TB Partnership.
- Enhancement of TB awareness through TB Weeks and Advocacy seminars
- Electronic and Print media campaigns
- Establishment of TB-HIV Coordination Committee Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
- External quality Assurance in place all over the province to ensure quality diagnostic services.
- Electronic Data Recording and Reporting System is operational in all over the province and updated on regular basis by Districts.
GLOBAL FUND SUPPORT TO PTP KHYBER PAKHTUNKHWA
Technical Resources are put at PTP for regular monitoring and supervision of TB activities. These are as following.
- Provincial Technical Officer-1
- National Program Officers-3
- M&E Office-1
- Senior Lab Supervisors-3
- Logistic Assistant-1
- IT Assistant-1
- Finance Assistant-1
- Office Assistant-1
- Regular Meeting of District Lab Supervisors
- Intra District meeting of all Diagnostic Centers.
- Inter District Meeting of all Districts at Provincial level
- Advocacy communication and social mobilization activities in districts through partners and by PTP
- Training on Drug Management